Saturday, August 13, 2005

In the shell of a nut


I'll start this first blog by telling you my story, ever so briefly...

The facts: I'm 29 now. I was born in Amman, Jordan. Moved to the US when I was 13. Lived in Ohio for 14 years. Studied Business Marketing at the Ohio state University, then went right into the telecommunications industry working for Inter-Tel Technologies. I had a very rewarding career selling voice and data solutions to big companies across Ohio and the US. I gained expertise in PBX platforms, voice over IP, Cisco routers and switches, call center software applications, video conferencing... you name it. I built solid business relationships, made lots of money, bought lots of fun toys, and then one day woke up and realized that I had lost sight of my dream. I always wanted to make movies.

So on April 12, 2003, I had everything packed, and I set out on a cross-country drive to Los Angeles. I would start over from scratch. While using my telecom background by day to keep an income, I invested in a nice Canon XL1 camera, a light kit, a Mac Powerbook with Final Cut editing software and made a group of friends, mostly very talented actors. I wrote short scripts and we made movies together and had fun like kids playing in a schoolyard. I felt alive again. I love LA because of the creative stimulus you can generate when collaborating to create movies. You can watch the movies on my site (www.QuaProductions.com)

I've been in LA for nearly two and a half years now, and I've directed 17 shorts films, made a bunch of other short skits, and wrote two screenplays. It's very very satisfying to be following your heart. People used to ask "When are you going to get married?" Now they know it's the last thing on my mind. There are so many more exciting things ahead than settling down.
There's a right time for everything, and now is the time to dream big dreams and work the plan to make them happen.

Having said that, I am about to begin my MFA in Film Directing at the AFI, the American Film Instit

10 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Hi Amin,

I have to say I am a big fan of your work. It is great to see you document your experience as a film student and I am looking forward to reading what you have to say.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles and I truly believe this is the city where dreams come true!

Best of luck on everything!

12:55 AM  
Blogger Roba said...

Welcome to the world of blogging Amin :) Looking forward to reading more posts written by the creative souls of Jordan and watching more of your shorts.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Amin Matalqa said...

Thanks Linda and Roba. I debated doing this blog, but I think it's a good opportunity to share what this experience is going to be like. There's a rising interest in filmmaking in Jordan, and my blog can be a nice window into Hollywood.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I am seeing you in the films on wepsit i verry mutsh laike the suffi suffi and irkhas you very funy man

i am work in amman airbort and i do cleaning.

good luck and you make me broud i am jordani

Sameh

8:45 PM  
Blogger jameed, RPh, MS said...

nawwarat! bas biddi aqollak deer balak min Abu Al Majali hath qassees il aflam

otherwise, looking forward for more posts and movies and a to finding you a 3aroos soon.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Laith said...

Allah iysam7ak ya abu il jmood...heik bitnabish bein il gboor oo bidak itkhareb sadagti ma3 zlam madaba?

Hehe, amin good to see that you are writing a blog, hopefully we can get introduced to that little enrgizer bunny that lives in your head...and i dont know why i just said that

velcome

9:43 PM  
Blogger Amin Matalqa said...

Jameed u Bataranzi joz zo3ran sarsariyeh karakiyeh.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amin its Adel, I read your blog its really cool man. I know for 11 years and I sow you go through all what you said in your blog, you are a great guy and a great friend and a brother and more, I wish you the best in your career and I loved the movies Crossroads and Sufi Sufi and aflliction was so funy ( :
cheers mate

12:29 PM  
Blogger PALFORCE said...

Wow,

Mashallah, good for you, way back on the bottom of my back head I always wanted to write scripts and do movies, but never got the courage to do it, I applaude your courage and wish you the best, I'm also a fan. Keep it up

Peace

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think that could give you some Search Engine popularity, and traffic???

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home