Friday, January 06, 2006

Under the Tree

I'm back in LA, and it feels great. I love this place, the land of movie-making. I spent just over two weeks in Amman, and it was a very important trip. It was more like a business trip this time around as I met with people, companies, and organizations, scouted locations, and developed new ideas to make what will be the first Jordanian feature film, "Under the Tree".

We're assembling the team over the next six months, and the movie will shoot in Amman in July and August. It's a dramatic story about an old airport janitor, poor street kids, and a female pilot. This will be a jordanian film with universal appeal. We're going to shoot on film with an American/Jordanian camera crew working together hand in hand. We're going to have a Jordanian editor, Laith Majali. A Jordanian writer/director, myself. And this film will provide an experience for various Jordanians who want to have a career in filmmaking. We can't continue this reputation for bad television soaps. We'll show the world that Jordan can be a filmmaking country.

13 Comments:

Blogger Fadi said...

Can't wait!!
lots of luck!

5:59 AM  
Blogger Dar said...

My best wishes ...... amaze us !
Cheerz

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will it be in Arabic or English?

P.S. I LOVED Suffi, Suffi!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Amin Matalqa said...

Thanks everyone. There's no turning back now. In the meantime, these funny little shorts I made in Jordan will keep everyone also entertained over the web. They'll be done by the end of January/early february.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Amin Matalqa said...

Oh, and the movie will be in Arabic of course.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

very exciting news. cant wait to hear more about it and the process while you work on it.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malhas, the "extras" job is mine...I have been kissing ass to get it for the past few months since I was told never to dream of being the one to say "akshin"

i am glad the title as i see it now is only "under the tree" i have told majali about the other connotations the older "full" title brought to me

12:51 AM  
Blogger Amin Matalqa said...

Ok boys, there's plenty of combars room for everyone. You just show up and we'll min7otkom combars.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Laith said...

lah ya abu malhas, the cigar has nothing to do with it. This has been brewing for a long time now. And since amin has finally let that cat out of the bag, things are going to be moving pretty quickly. Inshalla

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guys you are really making me love JORDAN !!!

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMINOOOO!!!! good seeing you in amman! wish we had more time, but you know both of us are busy! good luck bro! this movie is gonna be amazing... No Doubt!!! i believe in you!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Amin Matalqa said...

I was set on shooting on Super 16, but finally decided that HD would offer too many benefits.
As far as the DVX, there's a Jordanian guy that I know who has one, but he's schooling in France, and I'm sure he took it with him. However, the commission has a bunch of great 3chip cameras, including I believe an XL2. They may have the Panasonic. Not sure. Send them an email. I believe the site is film.jo

Cheers!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your work Amin! I've been following up with your creations since the day I seen Saleeba Bil Hammam at an RFC screening! Amazing indeed. eza biddak 7ada ye3mal gahweh o shay on the set im more than ready :)

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home