Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Bye Bye AFI

It feels surreal. Like a dream. Somebody pinch me. Today is my last day with my fellow brothers and sisters at AFI. Also today is our master class with Al Pacino. We can learn a thing or two about acting from him. Tomorrow I head to Jordan for three months to make my first feature film.

I'm both sad and excited. Sad because these two years have been so special and I will never have them again. We made 90 movies together in the first year. Dissected them, analyzed them, hated each other for criticizing the shit out of them, and supported each other to make our movies. And this year has been a similar process on the preperation of each team's thesis film. Breaking down every beat of each script, discussing the visual approach, production design, emotional journey...etc.

So now I'm taking all that I've learned at this place and packing it in a place down in my subconscious as I prepare to shoot Captain Abu Raed. I will be keeping a blog on the making of the movie on the new web site for the movie.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lina said...

Welcome back home :)

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A Blog account for the next two years while I hand my soul to the American Film Institute."

So with reaching the end of the 2 years, will you kill this blog? :(

When it's over...is it really over

3:27 PM  
Blogger Isam said...

u r one lucky man !!! its my dream to go study in AFI ... inshalla am gonna do it one day !! can i ask u how u went there ?? was it on ur own expense cuz its really really expensive and really selective !

11:05 PM  
Blogger Amin Matalqa said...

Not at all. I think I will keep this blog going for a while. Anyway, I still am not officially done with AFI until the end of the summer. I'm just done with classes. I have yet to complete the sound mix and music on my thesis film, "Morning Latte", but they're allowing me to do that when I get back because I'm shooting a feature film.

Isam, as you probably can see from some of my previous posts, I highly recommend AFI. My experience has been tremendous and I learned so much from a hands on experience. Yes, it is expensive. I went from having a career to living on student loans, credit cards, and getting help from my family. But it's worth it all the way, and hopefully in the long run it will pay for itself and I will be doing something I enjoy for the rest of my life.

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home