Thursday, November 13, 2008

The music of Basil Poledouris




Two years ago, one of my personal heroes, legendary composer Basil Poledouris, passed away. I can tell you through words how much his music affected my life, or I can just share this amazing video collage of some of his scores. I dedicated Captain Abu Raed to three people: my grandfather, Wahbeh Jabaji (whose innocence inspired the character of Abu Raed), Michael Kamen (who was my hero growing up, and dear friend later in life), and Basil Poledouris, who I never met in person, but emailed with when I was in college, and was inspired by his love for animals, the ocean, and movies that are bigger than life.

Click to watch this awesome tribute and introduction to a master who will live forever through his incredible music.

1 Comments:

Blogger Austin Wintory said...

Worth mentioning are some stand-out scores by Basil for those curious in learning more about him:

STARSHIP TROOPERS (the great modern sci-fi score)

FREE WILLY (raw emotion and sentiment at its best)

CONAN THE BARBARIAN (one of the greatest all-time "Epic" scores)

LONESOME DOVE (a beautiful blend of emotion and raw Western power)

KIMBERLY (one of his less-known scores, but tender and beautiful)

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home