Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My next movie



This week I will shoot my cycle 2 film, and I'm pushing the scale to something bigger than anything I've done before. I'm doing an action/comedy with insults and pain at the expense of the protagonist. I'm finally going to make a movie where I'm not holding back on my kind of humour. I have a wonderful cast of very colorful people: a loser "hero", a contrasting nice guy, a nasty villain, a mean little girl, a cute dog, and three goonish henchmen. I have fights, I have comedy, I have drama, action, pain... you name it.

It's taken a lot of energy trying to get this movie to where I want it. Part of the creative/collaborative process of working with several people is that you're all trying to stay on the same page. One of my struggles with this movie was with the back and forth disagreements on the approach of writing the movie. Our writer, a wonderful peace-loving person, saw the movie as a nice comedy with slapstic physical humour, one-liner jokes, and some sight gags. I saw the movie as a story of a loser who goes through physical and emotional pain in order to redeem himself. I wanted to get mean and offensive with the humor.

In the end, after ten drafts of the script, I was not convinced that I was happy with what we had, so, with my writer's permission, I took over the writing and wrote the movie I wanted to make. The thing I'm getting at here is that I think it's very tough sometimes for everyone to see the same movie, and at the same time we all have to be respectful of each other. Keeping a balance between the two is very important, but in the end, you can't make a movie you don't want to make.

So now I hope I will end up with a unique and original movie that entertains the audience. I'm challengin myself to something bigger than any of my past films.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Jordnian community in Dubai looks forward to it Amin, Good Luck and let us know when it is up ...

Duri Al Ajrami

duri@alajrami.com

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too bad im not there, best of luck and really looking forward to seeing this!

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best of luck

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best of luck..can't wait to see it.

ya3teek el 3afyeh w keep up the good work!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great for a man who hasn't Tawjihi... h3h3h3h3h3 ,, kiddin

too excited to watch it,, good luck Amin.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Amin Matalqa said...

Thanks everyone. They said either push your limits and succeed or fail miserably, but don't do something half-assed and rob yourself of a good challenge. So I'm going for something difficult with over 80 shots (including fights) in four days.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best of luck abu matalga cant wait for it :)
when r we gona be able to see it ?

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

think u need to accept the fact that you're a writer as well as a filmmaker, amin. it's a good thing. from a writer who has always been prolific and is now suffering her first terrifically horrible case of block i'm here to tell you to go for it. when you know what you want to say and how you want to say it just go ahead and do it. no one can express your vision better than yourself. good luck ;)

2:30 PM  
Blogger Laith said...

cant wait to be on set....will make you look good in pictures ya abu mitleg

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home